So, in the process of moving GMIL here we've had to get rid of stuff. Quite a bit of stuff. Stuff that should have been gotten rid of 10-15 years ago. Seriously.
Her place was maybe, maybe 350-400 sq. ft. and she had enough stuff to almost furnish MY house crammed in there. Then wondered why she was always tripping over stuff!
I 'selectively' sorted while packing up. Then when I'd load the car (or when we'd load the truck on weekends when DH was there to help) we'd take two bags/boxes out - one went in the car, the other in the dumpster. I stopped counting at 13 garbage bags/copy paper boxes of trash. Stained clothes, clothes that were 2X or 3X from 20 years ago, coffee pots that go to coffee makers but the makers quit years ago and she just kept the old pots when she bought a new coffee maker (and yes, they DO come with new pots, I know). She hasn't asked for one bit of it or asked where it is........it was just crap and in the way. We did give her neighbor some things that were still useful but that she didn't want/need.......a one person electric grill thing, some old canisters, stuff like that.
She had a suitcase with old dresses in it. Dresses that were from the 70s and 80s. Frilly, high necked, lacy (ITCHY) OLD, MUSTY, 2X and 3X dresses. We got rid of them. She could fit two or three of herself in them now (used to be a LOT bigger) and besides, who's going to wear dresses on a regular basis that are 30+ years old? You? Me, either.
So - we got rid of them. I told her we did. She was OK with it. Then. A few days later.
She comes to me and says it's too bad we got rid of those dresses. I reminded her that she can't fit in them anymore and several of them were stained. Oh, yeah, she knows that, but some of those dresses were bought at Bealls and if she'd have been thinking straight she'd have told us to save them....................
So she could give them to MY MOM TO WEAR TO CHURCH!!!!!!!!!
I know y'all haven't seen my Mom, but she's petite - she'd SWIM in these things, not to mention the age and condition of the dresses.
I totally cracked up telling DH about this later on.
You're welcome, Mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great story!
ReplyDeleteI'm just trying to imagine your mom's face if she was presented with said dresses....
ReplyDelete